Establishing the Center
The UC Fruit & Nut Research and Information Center Endowment Fund was established in 2002 to support our mission to aid in the coordination and dissemination of University of California research-based information, accomplishments, and statewide research and extension activities related to fruit and nut crops.
The Center's initial funding came from a portion of sales by Foundation Plant Services of pistachio seed generated from a UCB-I pistachio tree in the research program of UC Specialist, Louise Ferguson. The original cross of this tree was developed by Dr. Lee Ashworth of UC Berkeley, hence the name UCB-I. The interest on this endowment is used to partially support some of the following activities:
- Coordinating UC-generated and other fruit and nut crop information websites.
- Facilitating internal communication among all UC personnel involved in fruit and nut research and extension.
- Coordinating research-related conferences and meetings, and providing hands-on training sessions that further our mission.
- Determining fruit and nut crop research and industry needs, particularly those with cross-commodity application, and hosting annual research coordination meetings involving UC liaison officers, and commodity group research chairs and coordinators to facilitate research coordination among California fruit commodity groups and university programs.
- Coordinating related grant application and project development. Examples include the interactive chill calculator and harvest prediction modules.
- Cooperating with other Research and Information Centers and programming support in pursuing our mission.
Help Us to Continue Our Work
If you are interested in helping us to fulfill our mission, please consider a contribution to our endowment by using a credit card with our online form or by check by printing and returning our FNRIC Endowment form
If you have any questions about the Endowment or the UC Fruit & Nut Research and Information Center, please contact us at email@example.com or call 530-754-9708.