All of the Categories by Fruits & Nuts
Educational Content, including Basic Crop Information
- Walnut Fertilization Guidelines
User friendly almond fertilization guidelines based on current nutrient management research.
- Walnut Genomics Implementation Group
Website for research, extension and industry collaborators involved in walnut genomics research
- Walnut Production Manual
David Ramos, Dept. of Plant Sciences. This revision of the classic Walnut Orchard Management covers all aspects of walnut production. 1997 (328 pp.) UC ANR Pub. 3373. Link to ANR Catalog for purchase
- Walnut Research Reports
A searchable database of annual reports of research in various aspects of walnut production. This database provides reports in pdf format from 1971 to the present.
- Walnut Trees in the Nursery Trade: Understanding Terminology, How they are Propagated, Availability and Clonal Rootstock Pest Interactions (pdf) 2015 update
J. Hasey, UCCE Sutter-Yuba Cos., W. Hackett, G. McGranahan, and C. Leslie, Dept of Plant Sciences UC Davis, M. McKenry, Nematology Dept. UCRiverside, G. Browne and D. Kluepfel, USDA. (2 pp.)
Newsletters & Blogs: Farm Advisors - Current Topics
- Almond Notes - Butte County
Newsletter from Joe Connell, Farm Advisor, Butte County. Focus on almonds & walnuts.
- Crop Currents - Alameda and Contra Costa Counties
Newsletter from Janet Caprile, Farm Advisor, Alameda and Contra Costa Counties. Primarily cherry, stone fruit, olive, walnut and grape
- Field Notes Newsletter - San Joaquin County
A Newsletter from San Joaquin County Farm Advisors. Research and new developments related to agriculture in the county. Includes almond, walnut, grapes, veg crops, range land.
- Foothill Farms & Orchard News - Amador, Calaveras, El Dorado, and Tuolumne Counties
Newsletter by Lynn Wunderlich, Farm Advisor, El Dorado and Amador Counties. Orchard crops in Amador, Calaveras, El Dorado, and Tuolumne counties. Apple, pear, stone fruit, cherry, grape, walnut
- Fruit & Nut Newsletters - Tehama County
Newsletters from Richard Buchner, Farm Advisor, Tehama County. Orchard management for walnuts, almonds and prunes
- Fruit & Nut Notes - Solano and Yolo Counties
Newsletter from Farm Advisors, Solano and Yolo Counties. Topics in production, principally almond, prune and walnut.
- In a Nutshell - Tulare County
Newsletter from Elizabeth Fichtner, Farm Advisor, Tulare County. Orchard management for walnut, almond and pistachio.
- Orchard Facts - Glenn County
News and updates:orchard crops in northern California counties. Focus primarily on walnut, prune and almond.
- Orchard Notes - Lake and Medocino Counties
Newsletter from Rachel Elkins, Farm Advisor, Lake and Medocino counties. Focus on walnut and pear
- Orchard Notes - Sutter-Yuba Counties
Newsletter from Janine Hasey, Farm Adviosr, Sutter-Yuba Counties.
- Orchard Topics - Colusa County
Newsletter from John Edstrom, Farm Advisor, Colusa County. Primarily almonds & walnuts.
- Sacramento Valley Walnut News - Glenn, Butte, Colusa, Sutter, Yuba, Yolo, Solano, Sacramento, Tehama
Newsletters from walnut farm advisors, submitted by Janine Hasey
- San Joaquin Pomologist Newsletter - San Joaquin County
Newsletter from Joe Grant, Farm Advisor, San Joaquin County. Workshop and meeting announcements.
- The Kings Crack Out - Kings County
Newsletter from Bob Beede, Farm Advisor Kings County. Focus on nut crops.
- The Pomology Post - Madera County
Newsletter from Brent Holtz, Farm Advisor, Madera County. Topics in tree crop production, including farm safety, irrigation, pest management. Nut crops including almond, stone fruit.
- Tree and Vine Newsletter - Merced County
Newsletter from David Doll and Maxwell Norton, Farm Advisors, Merced County. Topics in tree crop production, including farm safety, irrigation, pest management.
- Tree Pest Updates: Codling Moth - Alameda and Contra Costa Counties
Newsletter by Janet Caprile, Farm Advisor, Alameda & Contra Costa Counties. Primarily apple, pear and walnut.
- Tree Topics (newsletters (2002-2012) - San Benito County
Newsletter by Bill Coates, Farm Advisor Emeritus, San Benito County. Central coast fruitnand nut orchard production, principally walnut, cherry, apricot, apple
- Walnut News - Stanislaus County
Newsletter by Kathy Kelley Anderson, Farm Advisor, Stanislaus County.
- Walnut Notes - Butte County
Newsletter from Joe Connell, Farm Advisor, Butte County
non-University of California Resources
- A Nitrogen Budget Worksheet for Walnut
Kathy Kelley, Farm Advisor, Stanislaus Co., and Joe Grant, Farm Advisor, San Joaquin County. Nitrogen budget worksheet and instructions in its use. 3 pp. Adapted from UC Pub. 21623, 2006.
- A Walnut Grafting, Budding & Planting Video Series
Nurseryman Alex Suchan demonstrates the grafting, budding and planting of walnut trees in this series of 14 short videos, produced by Rachel Elkins, UCCE Pomology Farm Advisor & UC ANR.
- Advanced Sensing & Management Technologies to Optimize Resource Use in Deciduous Tree Crops
UC Research website: a multi-disciplinary project to develop guidelines for nutrient and water management, adaptive to local conditions
- Biological Control of Codling Moth: Parasitoid Releases in Walnuts, Apples and Pears (pdf)
Janet Caprile, UCCE Contra Costa Co., Nick Mills, Dept. of Insect Biology, UC Berkeley. 2004 (1 pp.)
- Cover Cropping in Walnut Orchards
Terry Prichard, UCCE UC Davis, Janine Hasey, UCCE Sutter-Yuba Co.
- English Walnut Rootstocks Help Avoid Blackline Disease, But Produce Less Than "Paradox" Hybrid (pdf)
Joseph Grant, UCCE San Joaquin Co., and Gale McGranahan, Dept. of Plant Sciences UC Davis, in California Agriculture, 2005 (3 pp.)
- Guide to Efficient Nitrogen Fertilizer Use in Walnut Orchards
Kathy Anderson. ANR publication 21623. Link to ANR Catalog for purchase
- IPM-Based Guidelines for Replanting Walnuts in 2002 without Methyl Bromide (pdf)
Michael McKenry, Nematology Dept., UC Riverside, 2002 (3 pp.)
- SWP: Estimated walnut baseline water potential using current temperature and relative humidity (pdf)
Ken Shackel, modified by Bruce Lampinen, Dept. of Plant Sciences, UC Davis. 2014. SWP to expect for fully irrigated trees under different conditions of air temp & RH.
- Three New Walnut Varieties Released from UC Walnut Breeding Program (pdf)
Gale McGranahan, Dept. of Plant Sciences, UC Davis (1 p.)
- UC IPM Pest Management Guidelines: Walnut
UC IPM Online
- Using the Pressure Chamber for Irrigation Management in Walnut, Almond & Prune - ANR Publ 8623 (pdf)
by UCCE Farm Advisors Allan Fulton, Tehama Co., Joe Grant, San Joaquin Co., Richard Buchner, Tehama Co., and Joe Connell, Butte Co.
- Videos on walnut and pistachio orchard management
by Bob Beede, Kings Co. Farm Advisor
- Walnut Fact Sheet
Gale McGranahan, Dept. of Plant Sciences, UC Davis. 1995
- Walnut Rootstock Selection for Resistance to Phytophthora spp.
G.T. Brown, USDA, ARS, Dept. of Plant Pathology, UC Davis
Some links are to sites outside of the UC domain. No endorsement is intended of products, services, or information, nor is criticism implied of similar sites that are not mentioned.